Friday, October 24, 2008

The journey begins...

Who hasn’t dreamed of being a sojourner? Who hasn’t imagined visiting some exotic location or monumental site? Well at I have. How can I say that I have lived unless I personally experience (if not all) as much of what this vast planet has to offer. I think I would only have existed within a sheltered, myopic box if I never see beyond the borders of my home shores. I strongly believe that to truly LIVE life I have to experience as much as I can of the world: the essence of its peoples; cultures; traditions; and history; the unique beauty of the other lands and everything it harbors: flora, fauna and of course foods.

How, you ask? By becoming a sojourner. I want to sojourn to as many different places as I possibly can. But where do I begin? The World Atlas lists approximately 194 independent countries. So even if I visited two places per year it would take me 97 years to see the entire world. It’s obvious that within my lifetime it may be extremely difficult for me to accomplish the grandiose goal of seeing every country in the world. So again, where do I begin? My solution to this is to begin with the Seven Wonders of the World.




Of the 7 ancient wonders only the Pyramids of Giza still exist,
so that will be the first stop on the sojourn.



On July 7, 2007 seven new modern wonders were chosen from a list of 21 nominees.


This is where I begin making choices based on personal preference. It was a definitely a hard decision, whittling it down to just seven, but these will be the six other places to discover on my sojourn:
Kiyomizu Temple, Kyto, Japan
St. Basil's Cathedral, Red Square, Moscow
Chichen Itza, Valadolid, Mexcio / Machu Picchu, Peru
The Angkor Wat Temple, Cambodia
Colosseum, Rome
Christ the Redeemer Statue, Corcovado Mountain, Brazil.

No comments: