Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Angkor Wat Temple

While in the far East the next stop on my sojourn would be The Angkor Wat Temple in Cambodia. Ok, so this site didn’t make the final cut of the new wonders of the world but it was one of the 21 nominees and is named on the UNESCO world heritage sites. In my opinion it should have been a finalist. It’s certainly on my list of 7 wonders.

"The Angkor Wat temple complex in Cambodia is the world’s largest religious monument.


The temples at Angkor were built 879 - 1191AD and used for 400 years during the kings of the Khmer empire. The Khmers left the city in 1432, and after that the temples were lost in the jungle until a French explorer, Henri Mouhot, found it in 1860. "

The Ta Prohm temple ruins fascinate me because of the way that nature has melded into the architecture. Or my question is was this phenomenal temple intentionally built to be harmonious with the natural surrounding environment? My desire has nothing to do with the fact that this location was used in the 2001 Lara Croft Tomb Raiders movie starring Angelina Jolie.

Next stop: St. Basil’s Cathedral, Red Square, Moscow…

No comments: